Monday, September 7, 2015

Charcoal Portrait

This charcoal drawing of Grandma was my project this evening. I love faces (especially hers) but find them difficult to capture. For this drawing, I worked off a photograph of her taken during her last years. I used a graphing method to help me get closer to the correct proportions. I find that concentrating square by square is easier than trying to work from an entire image.

This drawing doesn't do Grandma justice, but it was lovely to spend some time concentrating on her face and remembering her. She passed away three years ago on September 12.




2 comments:

  1. You are a skilled artist, Elena, and any work done with such loving attention has to be more than art; somehow, it is prayer. I shall remember your grandmother on her anniversary this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete