Friday, February 13, 2015

Transit



As we await the train, Chicago wind
reminds us we are flesh and bone amid
much glass and metal, stone and brick. Thin skinned,
we huddle like some fuzzy chickens hid

beneath a few hospitable heat lamps.
The humming 'L'  arrives to slurp us up.
We watch the world—without: cars, fences, ramps;
within: assorted hats and coffee cups.

What prompts the woman's choice of red pom-pom,
the gentleman's neat brim, the young man's scarf
(long nearly to his shoes)? What chasing thrums
guitarist's fingers as we disembark?

Electric song finds roaring tunnel fit
for living, fly-wing bright and delicate.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, how welcome it is to see you writing sonnets! :)

    And this is a darned good one. I like the assonances you've employed (await/train, huddled/fuzzy). I like the way you've consciously or unconsciously broken a pentameter across a line-break! -- "the young man's scarf (long nearly to his shoes)" ... and the last couplet is reminiscent, subtly so, of Elizabeth Bishop's "Man-Moth."

    Oh, yes -- and "slurp"! Not what the commuter does to her coffee, but what the L does to the commuters!

    Bravissima! You may have inspired or challenged me to write a sonnet about Boston, trying to capture its urban-ness, its seethe and its teem, its bustle and nudge, its crowding and crunch. (I'll see what I can do!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Thomas! I'm pleased that Chicago has made its way into my poetry--I think it was just too foreign for a while for me to do much with.

    I do hope you write that sonnet about Boston! I'll keep an eye out for it on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete