Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sunday Evening At The Park

Baseball moon smiles above the trees behind the diamond.
Golden rod and grasses salute the pastel sky, the sinking sun,
the yellow lantern lights along the walking path,
the turtle and heron's patience at the pond's edge.

In the pavilion, a small gospel choir sings to the elders
in lawn chairs; to the children chasing
through green bridges and towers; to the Lord,
here and everywhere even into the big, big city:
"I'm glad Jesus heard me one more time."



4 comments:

  1. You had me at "baseball moon"! The gentle accuracy of your perceptions always inspires. I can almost hear the gospel choir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely and unexpected choir, Thomas. The song lingered in my ears as I walked home. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. You always have such nice verbs: the moon smiles, the grasses salute, and of course the choir sings. There is beauty in the city. My farm raised grandchild loves to come to the city to see all the different flowers. And I have never seen such a blue heron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Newell! I remember discovering the vivid possibilities of verbs as an early teen while working through a particular curriculum during school. I think they did a lot to help me fall in love with writing. Good for your granddaughter for appreciating the beauty of the city! I remember being so surprised to see barn swallows in the park here. (I confess, the heron's color is partly artistic license. The photo turned out over exposed, so I played with it.)

      Delete