Sunday, February 16, 2014

Winter Garden

My move near the city after college meant that I left much of the soul-nurturing space, silence, and beauty which had blessed my prior life. This is hard for me. Sometimes I feel so tired of the noise and press of man-made objects. But there are two places of great beauty and personal significance which I've enjoyed here: Lake Michigan and the Chicago Botanic Garden. I love these places. On Friday, I had opportunity to spend several hours in the winterscaped and nearly empty Botanic garden. The winter silence makes me notice the surrounding noise--something entirely overlooked when the garden blossoms with visitors during the busy months. Interstate 94 runs right along the park's edge, and a healthy suburb surrounds it, so it is an oasis of order and calm, not an ocean of it.

The gardens seemed full of sculptures, all lovely lines and muted colors.
















4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs -- and an apt testimony to how familiar places change in winter. Am hoping that the weather here spites Punxsutawney and becomes springlike rather soon! Winter has its undeniable beauties, but one can grow weary of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thomas! I don't think one can really know a place without experiences all seasons in it. And I agree about this long winter. I'm fantasizing about the smell and feel of green grass and the sounds of crickets.

      Delete
  2. Elena, I have recently exchanged comments and messages with a pastor named Emily Heitzman,
    in the neighborhood of Edgewater in Chicago. She works as a youth pastor in four congregations:
    Unity Lutheran Church – ELCA
    Ebenezer Lutheran Church – ELCA
    Immanuel Lutheran Church – ELCA
    North Shore Baptist Church – American Baptist Association
    http://musingsfromabricolage.wordpress.com/
    I have no idea where you work or live, but I thought I'd pass along this information if you might be interested in it. I do understand the loss of country life, or at least understand how deep that loss is.

    ReplyDelete