Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Leave Taking

We have sold the old barn.
In the hayloft, light pocks
from missing shingle squares:
blue through the sky,
green through the leaves.
The barn slants,
infinitesimally each year,
toward the earth,
the red flaking from gray
and lavender sides
under the sun,
the warm tan wood
waiting inside, dimly protected
by that slowly sinking shell.
Thick stall boards
scallop up and down
where draft horses nibbled
before I was born,
before old used-up things
peopled the silent space
the horses left behind.
Most things leave:
the swallows every fall,
the sunshine every night.
In that great, empty loft,
in my sanctuary, I played
a wild song,
a Job song,
"Great Is Thy Faithfulness,"
as my father lay dying . . .
'most everything leaves.
 Almost.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely. Sad, yes, but so much beauty to hold onto, and the note of hope. Always. I love your work, Elena, dear heart; you open the world to my eyes and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Impson, I marvel and delight that my writing blesses you in this way. Your teaching, and that of my other English dep. teachers, deepened my vision in so many ways. I wouldn't see the world in the same way if I hadn't studied under you, specifically, both because of your dedication to the craft and because of your life example. The confidence to pursue poetry as I have originated from your affirmation during that creative writing class. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't a wonder that the Lord brings people into our lives that we can bless and be blessed by? Thank you for these kind words, Elena, which are a special encouragement as a new semester gets underway this week. Love you, dear heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, too! Many blessings as you begin classes again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "That slowly sinking shell" makes me think of a barn I used to see all the time in the early '80s, in Franconia, New Hampshire, where my family and I would spend much of our summers. It was along Route 18, just north of the centre of the very small town that Franconia is. I recall the barn as being more brown than red, and looking almost like a person with very bad spine-curvature. It looked as if a robust gust of wind could have toppled it at any second! But it survived for most of the '80s, I believe. Now it stands no more.

    The personal memories that your barn has for you make this poem a living and a precious thing. It seems beside the point to praise the language for its sureness, its security. But perhaps I can praise it for its beauty?

    ReplyDelete