Sunday, March 31, 2013

Problems with the Church[goer]

I left the evening service early yesterday--fuming. I wasn't going to listen to another worship leader's exhortation to "lay everything aside and focus on God." (I've written before about why this bothers me so much. Also, the Bible does tell us what to do with our "cares"--and it has nothing to do with temporary denial.) I was done being pressured to mark my appreciation for God by the enthusiasm of my singing. However, soon after reaching home a new sense overtook my anger and indignation. I could have worshiped Him anyway, I realized. My soul quieted, sobered by a hint of loss. Instead of snatching up my coat and striding out in protest, I could have stayed. I could have sung the next song, or prayed through it. How did words from the platform become more compelling to me than communion with God?


Today, Easter Sunday, I attend an Anglican Church. After last night's turmoil, I welcome the safety of the traditional service. A certain spaciousness marks the worship. There is time for every verse of each hymn, generations-long time stretching through hundreds of years as we read prayers spoken by brothers and sisters before us. The stamp of any one individual fades here, caught up in a long and inflexible liturgy, and I feel that no one will begin digging at my hypersensitive soul in an effort to help me worship better. But I can still find aggravations enough. Exactly what is the point of speaking everything in early modern English? The common tongue of Shakespeare's day may be beautiful, but its less-accessible sense and archaic sound surely outweigh that good. And then there is the mechanical and mental challenge of juggling two books and a sizable bulletin while referring to an insert designed to guide me through the three.

Finally we reach the Lord's Supper. We move again through rhythms of confession, repentance, forgiveness, grace. The old words reach my soul--truths beyond emotion, and yet profoundly touching the core of my humanity.
We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings: The remembrance of them is grievous unto us; The burden of them is intolerable. Have mercy upon us, Have mercy upon us, most merciful Father; for Thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ's sake, forgive us all that is past; And grant that we may ever hereafter serve and please Thee in newness of life, to the honour and glory of Thy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


6 comments:

  1. A question about the Anglican church: Did they use the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, or Rite I of the 1979 Book of Common Prayer? (I would love to attend a service in which I heard the cadences of the 1928 BCP! The translation of the Psalms, which dates from the day of Myles Coverdale, is positively sublime.)

    But let me say, more to the point of your post, I sympathize. As a Catholic, I've heard some wonderful sermons and some awful sermons, seen some inspiring liturgies and some crass liturgies, known some compassionate priests and some crabby priests, heard heavenly music and grating music! (And heavens, do we have all kinds in the Catholic church!) There was one writer -- Tolkien, I think -- who said we should consciously seek out liturgies that might affront our esthetic sense -- in order to learn that the "incidentals" aren't all that important. (I don't know if I agree with that, but it is an interesting idea.)

    And yes, to your praise of the traditional rhythms of a liturgy. It's "fixed," as you say, and therefore reassuring -- it is "the still point of the turning world." I think of Eliot's line about places "where prayer has been made valid." Any place where a Mass or a Divine Liturgy has been celebrated, be it new or old, beautiful or ugly, is such a place for me.

    My apologies for this long comment. I hope you had (and have) a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long comments are always most welcome here! But I'm afraid I'm not sure the date of the Book of Common Prayer used in that service. My guess is the older version, as my brother's Anglican church uses a different, more recent sounding version. I know I'm revealing my ignorance here, but I come from a very "low church" background, so all this is relatively new (and fascinating) to me.

      Thank you for sharing Tolkien's idea. I'll have to keep it in mind. Not sure I'll ever try to find grating worship services, but at least I can encourage myself with his idea when I happen upon them by accident!

      I hope your Easter was very beautiful, and thank you for your well wishes!

      Delete
  2. I am in the process of changing churches. We need to find where we most can commune with our Lord. I am at a time in my life where I find He can use the comfort of the old hyms and a more liturgical style to quiet my spirit , reach His Potter's hand in and do His work.

    Bless you Elena for not being afraid to express yourself.

    thank you. Love, Aunt Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treasure your visit here, Aunt Shelley! It's neat to hear how God is directing you. I, too, find myself quieted in the liturgical churches. Somehow they remind me how much greater God is than whatever currently has me in a tizzy. Thanks and love back to you!

      Delete
  3. I feel your heart---------reminds me of my own frustration with the "institutional" church.
    But I have discovered that when I shift my focus from my problems (or issues with the church) to Jesus, and begin worshipping Him; in the midst of my worship (giving praise & thanksgiving for all He's done for me, along with repentence)the Lord would speak direction for resolving/working through my problems and issues.

    I do miss our times of sharing. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this wisdom, Pastor Anna ~ focusing on God can bring many other things into focus, can't it? And we need to get together again soon!

      Delete