Saturday, February 4, 2012

the Hurting and Church

Before publishing this, I would like to affirm that my Lord loves the church, and because of that I don't want to undermine the precious thing she is. My participation in local congregations of believers profoundly blesses me. However, one particular aspect of church bothers me, as I will attempt to express here. These ideas are yet embryonic, a few short steps in what I hope will become a long and fruitful road. I am no expert, but I've been thinking, and I'd love for you, reader, to help me by sharing your own observations and thoughts.

"Church" is too often a difficult experience for those undergoing sustained difficulties. American evangelical Christians as a whole have inadequate training in how to truly be present with those who are suffering. Often we know the intellectual and theological answers to the problem of evil. In the shadowy land where personal life defies equations, however, we stumble. In my own life, I have found the best answer in that place is simply and incomprehensibly God's presence. But suffering often feels like the absence or wrath of God. In such a situation the presence of God's people brings potential for unique solace.

How beautiful if our corporate expressions of worship could themselves include vehicles to help congregants bring their sorrows before the Lord! What might happen if--instead of "leaving our burdens" at the sanctuary door--we sang them to Him as Moses and David did? If we did that, wouldn't those who enter church feeling alone in their pain see that they, too, have a place among us? God's word addresses the whole range of human experience. He created the human heart with its capacity for a thousand hues of emotion and thought. He is the one who calls us to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. Our corporate worship ought to reflect this.

When I ask the question "how can the hurting be shown they have a place in church?" most often I am answered "through relationships between individuals." I agree this is essential. But a corporate expression of struggles before God and public remembrance of His presence in the midst of us might give congregants the courage to make their own troubles known. Also, when congregants see leaders responding to sorrow without judging or "fixing" it, they learn that exhortation and explanation are not the only Biblical responses suffering. It seems so godly to remind agonized and questioning souls of God's sovereignty, but perhaps in that moment, what they most need to know is how profoundly and presently He cares.

I don't advocate worship services dominated by expressions of sorrow, but I think it should have a place there--along with victory and rejoicing. I don't think this is unattainable, and I believe God's word contains guidelines on how to accomplish this.

Suggested resources:

A Sacred Sorrow: Reaching Out to God in the Lost Language of Lament by Michael Card. see
http://store.michaelcard.com/asacredsorrow-book.aspx

"Childhood Sexual Abuse." Radio broadcast by Moody Radio's program Midday Connect. Discussion of the need and opportunity for the church to minister to those who have been sexually abused, and a description of the healing role of liturgy and music. see

http://www.moodyradio.org/brd_ProgramDetail.aspx?id=81496

4 comments:

  1. This is so true, Elena. I know that at the worst times, the very last thing I could hear or understand was "God is sovereign" -- what one needs is, as you say, simply recognition that it is all right to suffer and to wonder why and to be in the midst of it; and I like your suggestion that we need to incorporate the sorrowful scriptures and prayers of sorrow in our worship. I tire of the *seeming* belief that because we are Christians, we should be happy; our sorrow and suffering will simply vanish if we are faithful to "pray and accept God's will."

    Keep thinking and working with this. Love you!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this, Dr. Impson :) I love to "hear" what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elena, This was really good. Thank you for the thoughtful way you expressed in this post. I agree wholeheartedly. I miss you, and love you.

    ReplyDelete