Saturday, February 16, 2013

Rethinking Thinking Badly Of Myself

After another round with negative self-talk, I find my attention drawn to Ephesians 2:10: "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." The lies I feel (I do more harm than good, I can't amount to anything, I am pitiful or contemptible) become difficult to defend when confronted by God's words. The truth takes me aback. How I view myself is more than a personal matter. When I choose to view myself as irredeemably flawed, judging myself and my future through a lens of hopelessness and disgust, I devalue something of worth to God. For if I am really God's workmanship, my life is (and is becoming) an expression of His beautiful grace. I think of my own cherished handiwork: poems, drawings, music--creative expressions which bring me delight and communicate something meaningful to others. In their own small way, these creations are important, and I would not have them dismissed or ridiculed. So how can I discount my own life? Surely the work of the Master in each one of His children merits celebration, anticipation, and wonder.

6 comments:

  1. Amen sis. Great post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, barn swallow. How easy such negative self-talk can be (alas!). Even as I read these irrefutable words, a small part of me says, "Yes, but in my case..." We do, all of us, fall short, and this is a cause for humility and a cheerful resolve to do better -- but not a cause for despair! How easy it is to dwell on the least promising parts of one's own personality and to say, "I'm just being realistic!" This is a very long way of saying that your reminder is especially welcome to this reader! And the comparison to your creative expressions is particularly well-chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad this blessed you, Thomas! I want to remember what you said about "humility and cheerful resolve to do better." Next time I'm faced with falling short, I hope I respond that way.

      Delete
  3. Lovely reminder, Elena. A mutual friend of ours says to me, if I disparage myself for some reason, "Stop saying that about my friend!" -- something perhaps our Lord thinks, too, when we go beyond repentance for sin to wallowing in discouragement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Dr. Impson! Thank you for sharing this thought with me :)

      Delete