Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Basement View



Descend plank steps and land
on a dirt floor littered
with moldy boxes, an old water heater,
and a porcelain sink.
Blurry half-windows indicate
March’s bipolar moods,
or maybe, just
the peculiar Midwest gray
on either side of winter.

Is this what having to decide
(again) to live will do?
Roofed by floor joists and walled around
by foundation bricks, find
a hundred minute miracles.
Grow lights coax from trays of soil
the tenderest of sprouts;
from seeds fine as splinters, come
ageratum, herb, and coleus
which glows color
long before it blossoms.

6 comments:

  1. Growth and beauty from the darkness . . . this poem made me think of my mother-in-law's painting; I think I shared it in your creative writing class one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I remember how beautiful your mother-in-law's painting was, and how you expressed to us the way it embodied her journey and lovely soul. I wish I could have known her. Some day, I guess. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a head start on me. I didn't start my seedlings until March. Do you have space and sun to grow vegetables? Gardening is one of my favorie things to do. My basement has a dirt floor like yours, and it's full of stuff, including all of my trays for seedlings, but I build a solar window where I start the seedlings.
    Very nice to read about starting seedlings in poetry, a pleasant combination of pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Newell. Sadly, I now live in an upper story apartment with no "bit of earth" to my name. This poem stems from my recollections of starting plants indoors as a teenager while still living at the home place. My family dipped into several "small farm" ventures, one of which was selling cut flowers at farmers markets. We started hundreds of plants, many different kinds, including some vegetables for our own use, like broccoli and tomatoes. And we didn't plant the seeds until March, either. Gardening is lovely, isn't it?

      Delete