Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ode to an Old Car

How do I write a tribute to a car without being sappy?
Probably, I can't. But you were, after all, my first, and that must count for something. Also, the way you carried my soul around--that counts for something too: the hours and hours several times a semester gliding from Tennessee to Illinois and back again, and those last bittersweet voyages to Arkansas to say goodbye to a woman with a thousand wrinkle lines and the man who loved her, and the sweetly strange moment on the way back when it seemed God showed me what to do with all the love I had just seen. I glimpsed pink sunrises and red sunsets and mile after mile clocked while the heart recalibrated from one scene to another. I talked to God and I thought while your great metal capsule shuttled me through landscapes beyond the merely physical.

I brushed the caked snow off your rear windshield when I said goodbye, so that I could rub the raised outline of the duck head sticker pasted there by an elderly man I respected and loved--your first owner, the man who agreed with his family to give you to mine. I liked that sticker--liked the fact that my car didn't scream "vulnerable single woman" in this city world. I liked the way a Buick '92 was actually cool here. The tow guy was disappointed when he saw you. There wasn't much to salvage, so we renegotiated your price. But that's all right. You were worth a lot--just not that kind of currency.

Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Amazing!
    Sorry about your car. Did you get a new one, or is it walking time?
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kattyrae! My beloved sister is helping me find another one. Until we are successful, it's catch-a-ride-with-somebody-else time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice tribute to Sam's car and to him!
    Love, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That car was a huge blessing to me, Deanna, but small in comparison with blessing of knowing your family!

      Delete
  4. I wonder if you still remember what showed you to do with all the love you had seen. I love that you loved you car. I drove my last car to the junkyard. It never failed me, even at the end, it limped to it's place of rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you, too, had an old faithful. My car was roundly smashed--but its occupant (not me) was fine, so I feel it ended valiantly :)

      And yes, I still remember. But I feel rather stymied. On an unrelated note, when I had the "epiphany," I passed a sign designated the road I was traveling "Music Highway." That seemed rather beautiful.

      Delete