Tuesday, December 21, 2010

City Snow

When we lived in town, my mother didn't care much for snow. I remember driving past embankments grass covered in summer but besmirched in winter with tire-flung slush. The traffic churned white powder into deep gray gunk, and the atmosphere assumed the unhealthy dankness of a cold in the head. When I turned thirteen, we moved to a village of 300 tucked in amongst miles of fields and timber. Suddenly, winter became a thing of peculiar glory--treacherous at times, and sharply beautiful. The sun flamed colored glitterings from individual crystals under the maple in front of our house, and the road beyond it retained a postcard purity even into the afternoon. Fields behind the house offered their own arctic wasteland, a chance for first footsteps onto the moon,an opportunity to tread where no one else had ever pressed his foot. Blue shadows rested beside drifts along the fence line, and the ditches sported wind sculptures like cake frosting or snow white peaks of meringue. On especially cold days, wraith veils of snow snaked across the road like the angel of death in the old Ten Commandments movie. An austere joy thrived in the miles and miles of relentless white.

I live in the city again. This morning, trudging to the post office through uncleared sidewalks next to four lanes of traffic, I noted gray spatters flung far across last night's snow and grimaced as droplets misted my face. My perennial struggle here is identifying myself with my brothers who live packed among human-induced problems in this over crowded part of earth. Never mind my own sins and struggles--I'd rather consider their problems as something alien imposed upon my quiet little country self. But if ankle-deep, sludgy snow is not my native turf, and if this is Christmas time, isn't this sort of walking a kind of privilege? Just think, our God chose to identify himself so completely with us that He became one of us, walking our roads as if they were natural for Him! A reminder of God's chosen closeness to us is worth dirty snow in my shoes.

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness" (Philippians 2:5-7, NIV).

6 comments:

  1. I love this! An amazing idea! Perhaps now I more fully understand why dirty, gray snow depresses me so. I love and miss you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Captain Bek--I love you, too! And I'll send you a missive soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your words. They are so well crafted and somehow they always seem to reach a deep part in my heart.
    To Christ's coming to living with us in our dirty snow....very profound!
    Thanks for turning my eyes to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad, kattyrae! Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mixed feelings. Christ mainly walked the country roads. I know he would walk with his people wherever they were, but I think Christ would seek beauty for himself and for us. I want to transform our world so that your wonderful appreciation of the beauty of the natural world is something to which we all can aspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this perspective, Newell. I appreciate the reminder that God does value the beauty on His earth, and that we can cultivate and enjoy it.

      Delete