Sunday, January 17, 2016

Common Cold

Recall, oh little, much-loved one,
you have been in--and
(more importantly) out--
of this before.

The impulse toward tightness
and dimness and sleep,
the hounding in toward only
one scant hope (to be small
enough to do no harm)--
this, my dear, is the sneeze
and not the ultimate use
of the nose.

There is still the most bountiful
breadth of smells: manure and
lily-of-the-valley and summer rain,
bread and coffee and warm blasts
from washing. These remain.
And you, too, will walk among them,
rejoicing.

2 comments:

  1. With bread and coffee, you've sent me back two dozen years, to the week I spent in the monastery at Spencer. One of the highlights came one morning toward midweek: Fr Simon's freshly baked bread! Which I think I had with coffee in a large metallic cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely memory! There seems something sacred about the smell of fresh bread.

      Delete