Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sinful Woman

I grew up on wholesome stories
of girls who grew to beautiful womanhood,
stumbling just a bit over hurdles of vanity, selfishness,
or temper, and chastened soon to sweetness.
I taught myself to shrink from the silly and the crude--
grew adept at disguising the darkness within myself.

I've been told my smile is lovely and to keep it up,
but I am enthralled by the spill of a fallen woman's tears,
her audacious outpouring over our Lord's dusty feet. The real scandal:
His prodigality of forgiveness and her answering love.
 

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Perhaps even yes! with an exclamation point.

    The picture that the Gospel paints -- it is poetically inexhaustible, is it not? I am flag, very glad, to read your poem on the subject.

    And technically I admire the subtle perfection of the line "but I am enthralled by the spill of a fallen woman's tears" -- the Ls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that story really stood out to me last time I read it. Can you imagine the audacity (and depth of feeling) involved? Especially as woman in that culture?

      Delete