Sunday, October 5, 2014

Alternatives

See, this is how it is:

you can stand at the tip of the board,
your little, bare toes curled at the edge
as it bends, obligingly, toward the water,
and all you see is the blue, squiggled shimmer
of water that will swallow you up
after you
                f
                 a
                     l l
                         to your death. OR

you can quitthinkingand JUMP

--

feel
the timeless split-second of air

and the close of water over your head,

the splat then low, long blurble in your ear drums
as the chlorine stings against your nostrils and your
stretchy suit pulls against your thighs.

Then
your pale feet flutter in the depths,
and your arms pull, frantically, for the white fired sun,
and
up you come with your hair in your eyes and in your mouth--

ever so much more alive than before
you jumped.

4 comments:

  1. Elena, your poetry has a wonderfully paradoxical quality! We, your readers, have come to expect excellence from you -- and yet, with each new example of that excellence, we are pleasantly surprised! I don't want to embarrass you with overpraise, but yes, you have produced another gem.

    I especially value the Saxon words, onomatopoetic sometimes: "splat," "blurble," "flutter." I love "the blue, squiggled shimmer/ of water," and "the white fired sun." I am not always enchanted by typographical experiment (though I venerate Cummings, and respect Apollinaire, and have sometimes been "experimental" myself, usually to my detriment!); still, I hesitate to criticize a poet for trying something new.

    And you are consistently so painterly, so precise! And you may have inspired me to go outside the box a little, and try my own poem about either swimming or diving. Or maybe the custom my dad introduced me to of "chasing the waves" at Revere Beach, back in the very early 1970s!

    If I may steal a phrase, your poems leave us "ever so much more alive" than we were before we read them. Bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these lovely, encouraging words, Thomas! And I do hope you write a poem about swimming or diving or "chasing the waves"--a phrase that which has piqued my curiosity!

      Delete
    2. I've posted a draft of "Chasing the Waves" to the Tambourine.

      Thank you for your encouragement by example!

      Delete