Friday, April 11, 2014

My 103

You inspire me, my sister-poet, to make
some use of 103.
Is it mean to say,
lying here against pillows,
that my mind goes back and back
in that silly cliche
and deems my life good?
Is it mean to remember my own daddy
in all his best light,
buying me rats (why?)
and helping my little hands cup
the violet gray of his pigeons?
Is it mean to feel I could float
up, up, above my beloved fields
into an infinite love?
Is it wrong, in light of your unhappiness,
to think I could die happy,
having found, at last,
that good is the most real of all?

4 comments:

  1. I think she is wrong to think that the world hurts God. Certainly there is pain, but there is also love, and as you say - good. I used to say that reality is whatever you pay attention to. I am glad you have experienced enough good that you pay attention to it and it is your reality. We do have choices. I love that your poetry is always about something, as well as sound and images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find my poems meaningful and am honored that you read them! Thanks! They are a way I process the world, so that helps bring substance. Shortly before I wrote this, I listened to a project involving musicians and authors meditating on Holy Week. Their work can be heard here: http://www.theliturgists.com/ The "Sunday" piece particularly voiced part of what I've been feeling and tried to express here.

      Delete
  2. Elena, I couldn't find the "Sunday" piece on the site. Can you give me directions to navigate the site?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure! Go to the link above. If it appears in your browser like it does in mine, you will see a list of titles descending from near the top of the page (beginning next to the blue flower): "Friday," "Teresa," "Saturday," ect. Scroll down until you see "Sunday." It appears beneath "We Believe." If you click on the title, the track will begin to play. Unfortunately, there are no transcripts. It's just audio. Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I'll tell you another way to get around the site.

    ReplyDelete