Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Matthew 7:7

Think back to that time
when you held out
your beating heart
in your two cupped hands,
your little girl/little boy eyes
bright with hope or tears,
and said, "I need"--
that time when you found
your heart was better
kept behind the bars
of your ribs, the shield
of your breast bone--
that time when you learned,
or the next time, or the next,
when you reviewed the lesson,
when you concluded
the answer was to take . . .
or maybe just to give.
Remember that?
But now there's this Man
with the scarred hands
who bends, smiling, to whisper,
"Ask."

1 comment:

  1. This is so personal, I didn't comment the first time I read it; when you posted it. Remembering painful lessons is not what I like to do. Yes, the ribs are there to protect our hearts; but behind bars? The little boy in me doesn't know what to do with this poem.

    ReplyDelete