Saturday, December 14, 2013

First Big Snow

The snow's like a big wind--
the kind of creature that floods a world
and doesn't care a fig how long it took
to do your hair this morning.
Everyone's a bit friendlier
in light of the common enemy.
The roads are dark gray gruel;
the sidewalks, intermittently scraped;
the traffic, wet, dirty, and loud
as a mongrel banned from the house
after a mud puddle run.

Only the park whispers a life
of silence--of tree arms stretched
to rest an inch of snow,
of smooth plains hinting of paths,
and lamp posts suggesting the way
to the pond and beyond it, the river--
this tribute to the wild,
this fringe of grass and woods,
this quiet place where snow belongs
to whisper and dance through songs
of brown leaves and wrinkled boles
and hooked burs benevolenced
by white.

7 comments:

  1. You are a true poet. And, I would say, a contemplative. And I love "benevolenced"! As always, bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thomas! I hope to grow into these very kind names :)

      I miss reading your poems. I guess it's time to dig into the blog archives. Have you made some of those poetry submissions like you were hoping to?

      Delete
    2. I get very shy about publication! I have submitted a few poems to a small magazine in Nebraska. I hope to hear from them soon.

      Your kindness toward my efforts is very heartwarming, indeed. I have been culpably lazy for the last month or so about writing. Perhaps you have given me an incentive to get to work!

      It's always a joy to read what you write. Blessings!

      Delete
    3. Waiting to hear back from publications is such an exercise in patience! And so often with a let down at the end . . . oh, well. I do feel rich, though, when I reflect on the kind friends who keep reading and encouraging.

      Delete
  2. What Tom said. Lovely imagery, and I too love "benevolenced" -- a perfect word. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you, too, Dr. Impson! I found your letter to my Advanced Prose class the other day, encouraging us to allow sacred silence to refresh us during our Christmas break--something I hope for still. May your break be very refreshing for your soul :)

      Delete
    2. I actually found that letter the other day, too! I have had a wonderful break, so quiet and lovely and truly peace-filled. May your new year be richly blessed!

      Delete