Monday, August 6, 2012

(neither the best foot, nor a good face)

I want to stay somewhere tranquil,
a place without traffic and without voices
that cry out or drizzle on and on,
wrestless as five-legged crickets.

I am missing something crucial.
Without it, my thoughts circle, uncertain,
unable to leap above or struggle through.
I'm snagged in carpet fibers, tangled with myself.


If only I could settle out. Sit still
until the sediment of my heart quits whirling
and sinks into neatly identifiable strata:
60% self-absorption, 30% growing pains, 10% legitimate concern . . .

or something.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you........missed seeing you Sunday, were you there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Water Walker. Yes, I slipped in and slipped out :) I really liked Pastor Dan's description of the how shepherds would lovingly examine their sheep every night.

      Delete
  2. Ah, for scientific certainty, even of the soul! Love the last line!

    ReplyDelete