Saturday, June 28, 2014

After Eucatastrophe

My hands are suddenly full of rainbows,
so full they begin to spill over, so
I fold up the bottom of my long shirt
like a little girl, and pour the rainbows
into the pocket and carry them close.

What do you do with a shirt full of rainbows?
Share them, surely . . . but the world
is so loud and I have learned to be alone.
Do you know what makes rainbows?
Storms and sun, oil slicks and garden hoses.

In the sky just now, a rainbow!
Pale-bright behind silver drops
beyond my yellow lamp.
A secret too good to keep, this rainbow!
This audacious trick of the light.

My hair dripping rainbows, my eyes leaking rainbows,
rainbow pieces running down my arms,
I survey the muddy world.
The ark is rough against my back.
I wonder where to begin.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Elena, I can see these rainbows everywhere! How lovely. I love the way you show them from all different sources, and "the ark is rough against my back" -- brilliant. Stepping out, seeing the devastation, but the rainbows inviting action . . . thanks for this splash of beauty in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poetry is so easy to read and re-read, and again. I quickly find a line I want to remember and it soon escapes this old brain as new words and images and thoughts pass through me. So I re-read several times. I like the length of most of your poems. It speaks of confidence that you have said quite enough, and said it well enough that you don't have to search for more.

    I wonder at the child-like presence you have maintained and how you can keep that and protect that without being alone or yeilding to the noise. Your life is a precious example to me. And your gifts of thought, reflectrion, and art allow you to present yourself with such clarity and openness. Thank you.
    Newell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Newell. I've always been drawn to shorter or smaller artistic expressions. To be honest, really long ones overwhelm me.

      Delete
  3. "This audacious trick of the light": yes! This is one of those lines, those memorable, accurate, beautiful lines which I really, really like. I echo the praises of Dr Impson and Mr Hendricks, and reiterate my gratitude for the luminous, quiet, continual, conscientious excellence of your work.

    ReplyDelete